Provides a broad overview of the market and the top reasons why U.S. companies should consider exporting here. Recommends strategies for entering the market and summarizes challenges or barriers for U.S. companies.
Links to the State Department’s website for background information on the country’s political environment, its bilateral relationship with the U.S. and the country’s membership in international organizations.
Provides guidance and best practices for selling U.S. products and services in the market, includes typical use of agents and selling to the government. Provides steps for establishing an office or joint-venture/licensing partner, and conducting due diligence. Discusses the state of e-commerce, franchising, and direct marketing.
Selling U.S. Products and Services
- Direct Marketing
- Selling to the Government
- Trade Promotion and Advertising
- Sales Service/Customer Support
- Local Professional Services
- Web Resources
Leading Sectors for U.S. Exports and Investment
Identifies the top industry sectors that have potential in the market. Provides a general overview of each sector, including trade data, challenges, sub-sector best prospects, and a list of relevant websites and trade shows.
- Agricultural Equipment and Machinery
- Agricultural Sector
- Construction and Building Materials
- Drugs and Pharmaceuticals
- Electrical Power Generation
- Medical Equipment
- Mining Equipment
- Oil and Gas Equipment and Services
Trade Regulations, Customs and Standards
Describes trade regulations, customs and standards in the market. Provides information on import tariffs and documentation U.S firms should be aware of when exporting, including any prohibited items or temporary entry procedures.
- Import Tariffs
- Import Requirements and Documentation
- Labeling/Marking Requirements
- Customs Regulations
- Trade Standards
- Trade Agreements
- Web Resources
Investment Climate Statement
Describes the country’s openness to foreign investments and provides information on the country’s investment policies, the labor market, political violence and levels of corruption. Describes foreign trade zones and laws for protecting property rights.
- Openness to Foreign Investment
- Conversion and Transfer Policies
- Expropriation and Compensation
- Dispute Settlement
- Performance Requirements/Investment Incentives
- Right to Private Ownership and Establishment
- Protection of Property Rights
- Transparency of the Regulatory System
- Efficient Capital Markets/Portfolio Investment
- Competition from State-Owned Enterprises
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Political Violence
- Bilateral Investment Agreements
- OPIC and Investment Insurance Programs
- Foreign Trade Zones/Free Ports
- Foreign Direct Investment Statistics
- Investment Climate Statement Contact
Trade and Project Financing
Describes the country’s financial system and how U.S. firms typically get paid. Describes the banking system and provides information on foreign exchange controls in the market. Describes important sources of funding for project financing.
- Methods of Payment
- Banking Systems
- Foreign Exchange Controls
- U.S. and Local Correspondent Banks
- Project Financing
- Web Resources
Describes relevant business travel information and business customs, includes any special visa or entry requirements, potential health risks, travel advisories and information on travelling around the country.
- Visa Requirements
- Local Time, Business Hours, & Holidays
- Temporary Entry of Materials
Prepared by our U.S. Embassies abroad. With its network of 108 offices across the United States and in more than 75 countries, the U.S. Commercial Service of the U.S. Department of Commerce utilizes its global presence and international marketing expertise to help U.S. companies sell their products and services worldwide. Locate the U.S. Commercial Service trade specialist in the U.S. nearest you by visiting http://export.gov/usoffices. Visit http://export.gov/ccg for additional Country Commercial Guides.
A complete copy of the Country Commercial Guide for Kazakhstan, as well as commercial guides to other countries, is available (free for U.S. companies if registered) on Kazakhstan – Market Overview