Location: Monument to Shokan Valikhanov, Medeu District, Almaty, Kazakhstan
Event: Demonstrations/strikes are expected to take place on Saturday, February 5, 2022 beginning at 12:00pm at the intersections of Valikhanov and Shevchenko streets. The Almaty Mayor’s office has authorized the request to hold this protest.
A heightened security presence and localized transport and disruptions, as well as internet network outages are likely in the vicinity of the protests, should they materialize.
Non-sanctioned demonstrations may end with mass arrests. Even sanctioned demonstrations can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
For Assistance: The U.S. Consulate General Almaty has resumed routine consular services as of January 18. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Consulate General is +8 777 0072359.
For further information about security in Kazakhstan:
- U.S. Consulate Almaty – +7 (7272) 50-76-12/17
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department of State – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Kazakhstan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates