Demonstration Alert – U.S. Mission Kazakhstan
Wednesday, January 5, 2022
Event: Protests continue in multiple cities throughout Kazakhstan. Continued heightened security presence is expected as well as public transport disruptions, intermittent internet network outages, and interruptions to electronic banking transactions.
According to reports, clashes in Almaty between riot police and protesters have turned violent and crowds have broken into government buildings. Both protesters and police have reported injuries. Emergency services such as hospitals and poly-clinics have been affected. Authorities have declared a state of emergency in Mangystau, Almaty, and Nur-Sultan, and other cities may follow.
U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid demonstration areas and shelter in place, and avoid standing next to balconies, or windows, and stay indoors whenever possible.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid demonstrations and exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
Consulate General Almaty will be closed to visitors on Thursday, January 6 with personnel tele-working. All U.S. citizen services and visa interview appointments have been postponed for Embassy Nur-Sultan and Consulate General Almaty.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
For Assistance: The U.S. Embassy is located at Rakhymzhan Koskharbayev Ave., No. 3, Nur-Sultan 010010. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Embassy is +7 7172 70 22 00.
The U.S. Consulate General Almaty is located at Samal-2, 97 Zholdasbekov Street, Almaty, 050051. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Consulate General is 8 777 0072359.
For further information about security in Kazakhstan:
- U.S. Embassy Nur-Sultan – +7 (7172) 70-21-00
- U.S. Consulate Almaty – +7 (7272) 50-76-12/17
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Kazakhstan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram