English Teaching Distance Learning Program: Application for Spring and Summer Semesters 2014-2015 Academic Year
For Kazakhstani English Language Teachers or Teacher Trainers
The Regional English Language Office of the Embassy of the United States in Kazakhstan announces the competition for “E-Teacher” scholarship courses for spring and summer semesters of 2014-2015 academic year.
The “E-Teacher” scholarship program trains foreign English language professionals in the latest U.S. methods of English language teaching via distance education). The program offers English teaching professionals living outside the United States of America the opportunity to take one of the ten innovative online graduate level classes (see the descriptions of the ten courses below) through the University of Oregon. The courses (almost all of them are 10 weeks long) will be offered in spring and summer of 2014-2015 academic year.
Participant costs are covered by the program. This includes tuition and the cost of any course materials sent from the institution. All materials will emphasize a learner-centered approach and will be in English.
- Introduction to Pedagogy and Practices for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL Methods);
- Building Teaching Skills through the Interactive Web (Web Skills)
- English for Specific Purposes, Aligning Context with Practices and Materials (ESP);
- Special Education and Differentiated Instruction in EFL Contexts (SpED EFL);
- Teaching English to Pre-teens and Teens (TEPT);
- Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL);
- Assessment: Summative and Formative Assessment in Language Learning and Teaching (Assessment);
- Critical Thinking in Language Learning and Teaching (CT);
- Global English For Leadership in Local Education (Pilot ELT and Leadership)
Candidates for “E-Teacher” scholarships should be teacher trainers or teachers who are working, or plan to work, with one of the seven subjects covered by the courses. They should be highly motivated individuals who are dedicated both to their own professional development and to sharing the knowledge gained with colleagues through workshops or professional presentations. Candidates should also be committed to fulfilling the program requirements (dedicating on average 8-10 hours of work per week) and completing the course. In addition, candidates should meet the following criteria:
English Language Skills
- ability to do academic work at a U.S. university (an advanced level of reading and writing, roughly equivalent to a minimum TOEFL score of 550 or IBT score of 79-80);
- general understanding of technical terms in English relating to computers and the Internet;
- good command of the necessary vocabulary for each of the nine topics.
- regular access to e-mail and the Internet;
- –ability to navigate in Windows and create a Word document;
- –basic familiarity with the Internet and web browsers;
- –ability to type in English well enough to perform on-line tasks in real-time and to submit written assignments in a timely manner.
After completion of the E-Teacher Scholarship Program, candidates are required to share what they learned through a replica workshop with their local English teaching community. Guidelines on organizing a workshop will be provided to scholarship recipients, and certificates of completion will be awarded after the scholarship recipient has conducted a replication workshop.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidate must fill in the application (see below), and submit it to the Regional English Language Officer, by email RELO-Astana@state.gov AND Asiyat Suleimenova, U.S. Embassy Astana, by email SuleimenovaA@state.gov , by December 23, 2014.