Call For Proposals:
The U.S. Mission to Kazakhstan in partnership with implementing NGO National Alumni Network (NAN) announces the Alumni Grants Program (AGP) for 2021.
- Did you study or participate in a U.S. sponsored educational or professional exchange program?
- Do you have a project you would like to undertake that would benefit your community, strengthen the relationship between American and Kazakhstani citizens, or increase knowledge of one community about the other?
The Alumni Grants Program supports innovative and sustainable projects developed and implemented by Kazakhstani citizens who are alumni of a U.S. government or U.S. Embassy educational or professional exchange program.
With AGP 2021, NAN provides alumni of U.S. sponsored exchange programs with substantial funding and resources to expand on skills and knowledge gained during their exchange programs to design and implement effective and sustainable solutions to current challenges facing their local communities in Kazakhstan.
In 2021, NAN will focus on AGP program’s goals that will support development and sustainability of civic engagements in Kazakhstan.
Proposals should focus on strengthening communities and capacity building. Competitive proposals will address one of the following:
- Promoting human rights by addressing or reducing social inequality, supporting gender equality, and social inclusion, etc;
- Promoting civic engagement, including:
- Helping communities advocate for their needs with government
- Empowering youth to become active members of a democratic society
- Providing youth soft skills-building training so that youth and community organizations can effectively represent themselves, advocate for their and others’ needs, and conduct campaigns
- Media Development in the area of media literacy, promotion of professional journalism standards, adoption of innovative tools and approaches for delivery of higher quality and objective media content;
Around the world, billions of people are excluded from full participation in the civic, political, economic, and cultural systems that shape their lives. History makes clear that people when they have the ability to organize, speak up, and engage—have the potential to hold their local institutions effective, exercise public control and influence decision making in various important fields from ecology and climate change to human rights, election system and social inequalities.
In Kazakhstan, NAN believes that meaningful civic engagement is an antidote to inequality, with rich potential to empower underrepresented and marginalized communities that have too often been silenced. Under AGP program 2021, NAN will work to support and help civic activism and civic initiatives/ organizations to build up civic spaces to thrive and to ensure all people have the opportunity to raise their voices, influence decisions, and serve for the common good.
In order to apply for the AGP, applicants need to carefully read the announcement and the guidelines in this file and follow the step described below:
Application should be submitted via https://nanalumni.kz/ in the following 3 simple steps:
- Go to https://nanalumni.kz/ and in the sections “Grants and Opportunities” read the announcement of Alumni Grants Program 2021 and download these 3 documents: Application Guidelines, Application Form and Budget Form
- Fill out Application Form and Budget Form with your project proposal
- Register as Alumni on https://nanalumni.kz/ and within your profile cabinet APPLY on GRANT by sending your short memo and filled out Application Form and Budget Form
- All Application Form and Budget Form should be submitted by May 31st, 17 PM (Almaty time)
- Decision regarding your Application will be communicated to you via https://nanalumni.kz/ by June 30, 2021
Application Selection Process
A Selection Committee composed of the National Alumni Network with Public Affairs Sections in the U.S. Embassy and Consulate will use the following criteria to evaluate all applications.
Criteria for Selection
- Quality and Feasibility of the Program Idea
- Project Planning/Ability to Achieve Objectives
- Evaluation and Sustainability of the Project
- Communication, Media and Outreach Plan
- Budget Justification
Federal Award Information
Announcement posted: May 1st, 2021
Closing date for applications: May 31, 2021
Funding type: Grant
Decision date: no later than June 30, 2021
Expected size of individual awards: Between $3,000 to $7,000
Program Performance Period: Proposed programs should be completed before February 1, 2022.
Applicant Eligibility Requirements:
- Applicants must be Kazakhstani alumni of a U.S. Department of State-funded exchange program (https://alumni.state.gov/list-exchange-programs), or a U.S. government-sponsored exchange program (https://j1visa.state.gov/).
- Alumni who are U.S. citizens may not submit proposals, but U.S. citizen alumni may participate as team members in a project.
- Applications must be submitted by individual and exchange alumni. Not-for-profit, non-governmental organizations, think tanks, and academic institutions are not eligible to apply in the name of the organization but can serve as partners for implementing project activities.
Inclusion of cost share is not a requirement of this opportunity.
If you have any questions about the process, we encourage you to contact the NAN team by email at: email@example.com
Please contact the NAN team first to inquire about AGP 2021 as they will have specific information about the competition. Only if you are unable to contact the NAN team, you may contact the U.S. Mission’s Alumni Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org