Department of State – Embassy of the United States, Astana, Kazakhstan
Notice of Funding Opportunity – Annual Program Statement
The Public Affairs Sections at the U.S. Embassy, Astana and U.S. Consulate General Almaty are pleased to announce a Funding Opportunity for Cultural Programs. The Annual Program Statement invites applications for innovative programs. There is a rolling deadline for applications, however the Selection Committee anticipates meeting in April, June and August. Applications submitted early have a greater likelihood of consideration while funding is available.
Funding Instrument Type: Cooperative Agreement or Grant
Anticipated period of performance: 9-12 months
Number of awards anticipated: 25
Floor of Individual Award Amounts: $5,000
Ceiling of Individual Award Amounts: $50,000
Purpose of PD Small Grants Program:
PAS invites proposals for programs that strengthen cultural ties between the U.S. and Kazakhstan through cultural and exchange programming that highlights shared values and promotes bilateral cooperation. All programs must include an element of American culture or values, or connection with American expert/s, organization/s, or institution/s in a specific field that will promote increased understanding of U.S. policy and perspectives.
Grant Priority Areas: Funding is available for projects that address post’s overarching aim to increase citizen access to objective information and improve understanding of U.S. policies and culture. Projects should engage Public Affairs’ key audiences, including: youth (14-25 years old), entrepreneurs/innovators, journalists, women, other marginalized groups, civil society organizations, and/or non-profit organizations.
Grant proposals should address one or more Public Affairs priorities:
- Arts, Culture, and Sports Programs: should promote local cultural heritage, traditional and modern art forms, and other forms of creative expression and have a connection to American values or culture. These programs may support civil society organizations, non-profit organizations, educational institutions, or emerging leaders in these fields. The aim of arts, culture and sports programs is to deepen ties between Kazakhstan and the U.S. and improve understanding about U.S. culture and values.
- Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Economic Empowerment: should develop innovative ideas involving STEAM, space, social entrepreneurship, adaptive technologies, rural economic development, economic diversification, women’s empowerment, corporate social responsibility, access to finance, and support for entrepreneurs.
- Media Strengthening: Increase transparency, media professionalism, access to diverse sources of news, and savvy consumption of news. Projects may develop Kazakh language media, fact-checking and research for journalists or media consumers, capitalize on social media use for greater transparency, and/or expand such programs beyond the capital and secondary cities of Kazakhstan.
- English Language Programs: Projects should promote the use and spread of the English language through innovative clubs, forums, social media, educational, and/or arts endeavors.
- Fostering Regional Stability: Projects should promote peace building, leadership development, youth and women’s empowerment, diversity and inclusion. Such projects should strengthen ties between the United States and Kazakhstan through academic arenas, arts and culture, civil society, and related programs.
Please use these forms of an application:
- SF-424 (Application for Federal Assistance – organizations) (PDF, 265KB)
- SF-424I (Application for Federal Assistance – individuals) (PDF, 754KB)
- SF-424A (Budget information for non-construction programs) (PDF, 322KB)
- Application Form (DOC, 43KB)
- Budget Narrative for Budgets $ 25,000.00 and higher (XLS, 32KB)
For more details, please see application details here.