The 2019 TechWomen application is now open!
Apply by January 16, 2019 at 9:00am PST (GMT-8).
TechWomen is a professional exchange that directly supports the U.S. foreign policy goal of advancing the status of women and girls around the world and promotes development in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) to enable women to reach their full potential. Approximately 108 professional women working in STEM fields from 21 countries in North Africa and the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, and South and Central Asia will travel to the United States in September 2019 for an intensive exchange focused on promoting collaboration in science and technology. Women will select one of six tracks: information technology, green technology, science, internet, biotechnology, or telecommunications when applying. Applicants must have strong English skills as the program is conducted entirely in English.
TechWomen participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements below. Applications are reviewed by independent selection committees composed of industry leaders and regional experts. Semifinalists may be interviewed at the US Embassy Astana.
2019 TechWomen Eligibility Requirements
• Be women with, at minimum, two years full-time professional experience in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields. Please note that internships and other unpaid work experience does not count toward the two-year professional experience requirement.
• Have, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree/four-year university degree or equivalent.
• Be proficient in written and spoken English.
• Be citizens and permanent residents of Kazakhstan at the time of application and while participating in the program.
• Be eligible to obtain a U.S. J-1 exchange visitor visa.
• Not have applied for an immigrant visa to the United States (other than the Diversity Immigrant Visa, also known as the “visa lottery”) in the past five years.
• Not hold U.S. citizenship or be a U.S. legal permanent resident.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
• Demonstrate themselves as emerging leaders in their chosen professional track through their work experience, volunteer experience, community activities and education.
• Are committed to return to their home countries to share what they have learned and mentor women and girls.
• Have limited or no prior experience in the United States.
• Have a proven record of voluntary or public service in their communities.
• Have a demonstrated track record of entrepreneurialism and commitment to innovation.
• Demonstrate a willingness to participate in exchange programs, welcome opportunities for mentoring and new partnership development, and exhibit confidence and maturity.
TechWomen encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
The 2019 TechWomen application will close at 09:00am PST (GMT-08:00) on January 16, 2019. Semifinalists will be contacted via email in/around March 2019. Final decisions will be made no later than May 17, 2019. All applicants will be notified of the results of their application.
Please visit here to apply for the program.
January 16, 2019: 2019 program application closes
March 2019: Semifinalists are contacted
May 2019: Final selection decisions are made
September – October 2019: U.S. TechWomen program