- Fulbright Program
- Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (Global UGRAD)
- Summer Work and Travel Program
- Community Solutions Program
- GIST Tech-I Competition
- Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program (TEA)
- SUSI FOR SECONDARY EDUCATORS
- SUSI FOR WOMEN LEADERSHIP
- Professional Fellows Exchange Program: Spring 2020 Program announcement and application
- 2020 TechGirls Program
The Summer Work and Travel program provides foreign students with an opportunity to live and work in the United States during their summer vacation from college or university to experience the people and way of life in the United States. Jobs are usually in the hospitality industry and often include working as restaurant staff, housekeepers, lifeguards, or attendants at amusement parks.
Participants in the program must be post-secondary school students in an educational institution outside the United States who have completed at least one semester or equivalent of post-secondary academic study. Additionally, they must possess sufficient proficiency in English.
Participants attending universities in Kazakhstan are allowed to work in the U.S. between May 25th and September 1st and must return to Kazakhstan by the beginning of the fall semester at their universities. The Summer Work & Travel program is not for visitors who only want to travel in the United States. A B-2 category visa is the appropriate visa for tourists entering the United States.
Citizens of other countries can apply in Astana or Almaty provided that they study in Kazakhstani universities. The document requirements for non-Kazakhstani students can differ from those for Kazakhstani citizens. To avoid delays please, check the Reciprocity Schedule.
For more information about the Summer Work and Travel Program, please click here.
Know Your Rights
All program participants must read and understand the Wilberforce Act pamphlet (Русский, PDF, 243 KB) which explains the rights they have while in the United States. During the visa interview the Consular Officer will verify that applicants know and understand their rights under the Wilberforce Act.
Applicants to the program can apply directly to a U.S. based sponsor or through a local broker in Kazakhstan. A list of some local brokers is below, and a listing of the U.S. based sponsors can be located by clicking on “Find a Summer Work Travel Sponsor.”
• It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that their online application (DS-160) is completed accurately. In addition to the online application form, applicants must pay the SEVIS and MRV fees. They must also bring the original form DS-2019, which is issued by the sponsoring agency, to the interview or make arrangements for their agency to submit the DS-2019 to the consular section in advance of the interview
• Applicants for the Summer Work & Travel Program must pay a SEVIS fee online at least 72 hours in advance of appointment date.
*The following handout material will help you understand program regulations and other possible questions you might have.
- Summer Work and Travel (information for participants) (PDF, 19 KB)
- Summer Work and Travel (информация для участников) (PDF, 61 KB)
List of Local Agencies
The following is a list of some education companies in Kazakhstan that partner with U.S.-based exchange visitor sponsors and can assist applicants in obtaining a DS-2019 from a U.S.-based exchange visitor sponsor.
The local agencies listed below are permitted to make group appointments for visa applications for Summer Work and Travel participants. Agencies not listed below will not have this ability and thus may not be able to secure visa application appointments.
The Consular Section of the U.S. Mission in Kazakhstan assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by the following persons or firms. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate General. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance.
The following local agencies are currently registered to participate in the Summer Work and Travel season:
AirTravel International Kazakhstan
Avier Grand LLP
International Exchange Center
Kazakhstan Council for Educational Travel (KCET)
Opportunity Language School
United Students Company
Work and Study Abroad