Event: A constitutional referendum will be held throughout Kazakhstan on Sunday, June 5, 2022. U.S. citizens should anticipate an increased presence of security forces around cities in Kazakhstan and may experience road closures and alternate traffic patterns through the weekend. Police have the authority to stop individuals without reasonable suspicion or probable cause. U.S. citizens are therefore encouraged to carry appropriate identification on their person.
In connection with the referendum, demonstrations in cities across the country may occur. Non-sanctioned demonstrations usually end with mass arrests. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
U.S. citizens should avoid observing protest-related events in person should they materialize. Avoid demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Monitor local media for updates. Be advised that some cities may experience spotty internet coverage or the absence of service altogether.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations
- Avoid crowds
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Monitor local media for updates
- Review your personal security plans
For Assistance: The U.S. Embassy is located at Rakhymzhan Koskharbayev Ave., No. 3, Nur-Sultan 010010. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Embassy is (+7 7172) 70 22 00.
The U.S. Consulate General Almaty is located at 97, Zholdasbekov Street, Almaty. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Consulate General is 8 777 0072359.
For further information about security in Kazakhstan:
- U.S. Embassy Nur-Sultan – (+7 7172) 70 21 00
- U.S. Consulate Almaty – (+7 727) 250 48 02
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department of State – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Kazakhstan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram