Location: Masanchi village
Event: Media is reporting ethnic violence between Kazakhs and Dungans in the village of Masanchi near the Kazakh/Kyrgyz border, 140km west of Almaty by air (250km via normally traveled roads). The violence included physical altercations, shooting, and residences set on fire. As a result of the violence overnight, the Government of Kazakhstan has restricted access to some social media platforms.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for situational updates.
- Avoid the area of Masanchi.
- U.S. Consulate General Almaty, +7-727-250-4901; after-hours:+7 777 007 2359, USAKZ@state.gov, https://kz.usembassy.gov
- U.S. Embassy Nur-Sultan, +7-717-270-2100 after-hours:+8-777-258-4879, USAKZ@state.gov, https://kz.usembassy.gov
- U.S. State Department–Consular Affairs –888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Kazakhstan Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.