Security Alert – U.S. Mission Kazakhstan Friday, November 18, 2022
Event: On Sunday, November 20, 2022, a snap presidential election will take place in Kazakhstan. U.S. government personnel have been advised to expect an increased presence of security forces around the city and may experience road closures and alternate traffic patterns throughout the weekend. Non-sanctioned demonstrations can end with mass arrests. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. In the past, internet outages have coincided with protests, and as a result, the U.S. Mission to Kazakhstan’s communications with U.S. citizens may be interrupted. The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Kazakhstani visa.
- Monitor local media for updates.
For further information about security in Kazakhstan:
- U.S. Embassy Astana – +7 (7172) 70-21-00
- U.S. Consulate Almaty – +7 (7272) 50-76-12
- Email: email@example.com
- Department of State – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Kazakhstan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts