Event: The Travel Advisory for Kazakhstan is level 4 “Do Not Travel” due to recent civil unrest and COVID-19. U.S. citizens are reminded that a nationwide curfew remains in place in Kazakhstan, including Almaty, from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. In other cities, an extended curfew may begin as early as 7 p.m. Please check carefully for restrictions in your locale.
The airport in Almaty has reopened with limited service. U.S. citizens are encouraged to check with their air carrier for updates on flight timing and schedules. Air Astana advises that its service has been fully restored to and from Nur-Sultan. Additionally, the Almaty train station is open and operating multiple routes, including to Nur-Sultan. From Nur-Sultan it is possible to secure follow-on commercial flight opportunities. The U.S. government advises U.S. citizens interested in departing Kazakhstan to use these options as their primary means of departing Almaty and Kazakhstan. We will continue to advise U.S. citizens as further commercial air travel options become available from Almaty.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations
- Avoid crowds.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible, including evidence of COVID-19 vaccination if available.
For Assistance: The U.S. Embassy is located at Rakhymzhan Koskharbayev Ave., No. 3, Nur-Sultan 010010. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Embassy is +7 7172 70 22 00.
The U.S. Consulate General Almaty has cancelled routine consular services. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Consulate General is +8 777 0072359.
For further information about security in Kazakhstan:
- U.S. Embassy Nur-Sultan – +7 (7172) 70-21-00
- U.S. Consulate Almaty – +7 (7272) 50-76-12/17
- Email: email@example.com
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Kazakhstan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram