An official website of the United States government

Notarial services are available for all nationalities by appointment

Please make an appointment before you visit the Consular Section.


Hand signing documentNotarial services are for all nationalities and are by appointment only. Normally the document to be notarized is for use within the United States, although there may be exceptions. If you have multiple documents to be notarized, you should only make one appointment. You will pay $50 USD, at the Embassy or Consulate on your day of appointment, for each notary seal required.

On the day of your appointment, you must:

  • Bring the complete, unsigned documents to be notarized. Even if there are pages that do not require signature or seals, you must present the entire packet.
  • Present a valid government-issued ID such as a passport or driver’s license. The name on the documents must be the same as the name on your ID.
  • Pay $50 USD per notary seal.
  • Be of sound mind and understand the document you want notarized. Consular staff is not permitted to explain contents to you.
  • If your notary service requires a witness, you must arrange for your own witnesses. Consular staff cannot witness your documents.

Example of Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry

Some countries require persons who wish to marry to provide written proof, issued by governmental authority, that there is no legal impediment to the marriage. No such document, or governmental authority to issue such document, exists in the United States.

In consular districts with such requirements, a notarized statement from the U.S. citizen party to the marriage, affirming that the citizen is free to marry, often is accepted in lieu of a governmental statement. Kazakhstan does accept such affidavits for marriage purposes.

Please  download the template of the Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry, fill it out, print and bring with you to the Consular Section.

Example of Residency Permit Letter

Please  download the template of the Residency Permit Letter, fill it out, print and bring with you to the Consular Section.

Examples of Notarial Services Performed At No Charge

Scales, Seal, PenDS-3053: To notarize a DS-3053 Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. Passport To a Minor Under Age 16 (PDF, 345K), please review the instructions listed on the form, the information fields that must be completed, and bring your original, valid, government-issued photo ID as well as a photocopy of both sides. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.

Power of Attorney (in conjunction with U.S. passport applications): When both parents are unable to be personally present to apply for a minor’s U.S. passport, and they wish to designate a third party to do so, they may sign a power of attorney (POA) before a notary public. This POA must contain specific data fields; see a sample.  Note that photocopies of both sides of each parents’ original, valid, government-issued photo ID must be included with the POA. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.

At the Direct Request of a U.S. Municipal, State or Federal Entity

At the Direct Request of a Foreign Government

Apostilles and Remote Notarial Services

The Consular Section cannot provide Apostilles or certified copies of academic credentials. For more information please, refer to the Judicial Assistance page on the U.S. Department of State website.

For information concerning remote notarial and authentication services, we direct you to the following recently updated Department of State webpage. Please note that remote notarial services may only be provided in accordance with the laws and regulations of the U.S. state that commissioned the notary public and the laws of the state or country where the document is notarized.