TechWomen is an Initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs to advance the status of women and girls around the world and promote development in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) to enable women to reach their full potential.
The Spring 2022 TechWomen application is now open!
The application will close on 09:00AM PDT (10:00 PM ALMATY Time), Wednesday, May 5, 2021.
TechWomen participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements below. Applications are reviewed by independent selection committees composed of industry leaders and regional experts. Semifinalists will be interviewed by the United States Embassy in Kazakhstan.
Spring 2022 TechWomen Eligibility Requirements
- Be women with, at a minimum, two years full-time professional experience in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields. Please note that internships and other unpaid work experience does not count toward the two-year professional experience requirement.
- Have, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree/four-year university degree or equivalent.
- Be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Be citizens and permanent residents of Kazakhstan at the time of application and while participating in the program.
- Be eligible to obtain a U.S. J-1 exchange visitor visa.
- Not have applied for an immigrant visa to the United States (other than the Diversity Immigrant Visa, also known as the “visa lottery”) in the past five years.
- Not hold U.S. citizenship or be a U.S. legal permanent resident.
Preference will be given to applicants who
- Demonstrate themselves as emerging leaders in their chosen professional track through their work experience, volunteer experience, community activities, and education.
- Are committed to return to their home countries to share what they have learned and mentor women and girls.
- Have limited or no prior experience in the United States.
- Have a proven record of voluntary or public service in their communities.
- Have a demonstrated track record of entrepreneurialism and commitment to innovation.
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate in exchange programs, welcome opportunities for mentoring and new partnership development, and exhibit confidence and maturity.
TechWomen encourages people with diverse skills and backgrounds to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
Applicants should select one of six tracks: information technology, green technology, science, internet, biotechnology, or telecommunications when applying.
As a part of the on-line application, all applicants are required to submit names and contact information for two professional or personal references. References will only be contacted for semifinalist candidates. References should be able to speak to your professional qualifications and/or personal attributes. References may include, but are not limited to, professional contacts (e.g. supervisors, colleagues), academic advisors, or other individuals who can speak to your experiences and qualities related to the TechWomen selection criteria. Applicants are required to submit 8 short, up-to-200 character, essays.
Program Selection Timeline: Important Dates for Participants
March 2021: Spring 2022 program application opens
May 2021: Spring 2022 program application closes
July 2021: Semifinalists are contacted
September 2021: Final selection decisions are made no later than September 30, 2021.
February 2022 – March 2022: U.S. Spring 2022 TechWomen program
All applicants will be notified of the results of their application.
To apply, complete the Spring 2022 TechWomen application and submit electronically by 09:00AM PDT (10:00 PM ALMATY TIME) Wednesday, May 5, 2021.
Please access the Spring 2022 TechWomen application here.
For questions, please contact email@example.com.