Marrying a Kazakhstani Citizen

The following is an introductory guide for U.S. citizens who wish to marry Kazakhstani citizens. It describes the marriage process in Kazakhstan and the required documentation. Please be aware that procedures may change without notice. This information is meant as a general guide, not a definitive source. Please contact the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy for more information.

Marriage Procedures in Kazakhstan

If you wish to marry a citizen of Kazakhstan, you may choose between marrying him/her in the United States or in Kazakhstan. If you choose to get married in the U.S., you must complete paperwork for your fiancée to enter the United States on a K-1 visa.

If you decide to get married in Kazakhstan, you should fulfill the requirements of the Law on Citizenship and Part Seven of the Marriage and Family Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan. You and your fiancée must apply for a marriage license at the Office of Registration of Civil Events (ZAGS). During the interview, you and your fiancée must prove that you are in good health and present the documents listed below.
A wedding date is usually scheduled within 30 days from the date of your application.

Documents required by ZAGS for issuance of the marriage license:

  1. U.S. passport with Kazakhstani visa or Kazakhstani permanent resident card;
  2. Affidavits stating that neither party is presently married and, if applicable, original divorce certificates from previous marriage(s) legalized with an Apostil by the Secretary of State;
  3. Notarized Russian translations of passports, affidavits and divorce certificates.

On the wedding day, the bride and groom must appear at ZAGS with two witnesses to sign the marriage register. At the end of the ceremony, the newlyweds are presented with their marriage certificate.

Processing your new spouse’s immigrant visa

After being married, please follow the immigrant procedures for Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas.

For more general information on this subject and FAQ’s, please consult the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services web site on “Bringing a Spouse to Live in the U.S.