State-of-the-Art Passports

Note: Beginning November 1, 2016 Consular Section will no longer accept photographs of passport applicants wearing eyeglasses.

22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f) requires you to provide your Social Security number, if you have one, when you apply for a U.S. passport or renewal of a U.S. passport. If you fail to provide the information, you will encounter a delay in processing and/or denial of your passport application.  You will also be subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS pursuant to Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E). All questions on this matter should be directed to the nearest IRS office.

All non-emergency passports are processed in the United States to incorporate a photo-digitized image and other enhanced security features. We accept passport applications and forward them electronically to the United States for printing.  Processing time averages two weeks but may be slightly higher in some cases, so we urge everyone to renew passports several months before the expiration date.

The U.S. Embassy in Nur-Sultan and U.S. Consulate General in Almaty issue emergency passports within 24 hours. However, these emergency passports are limited in validity and cannot be extended. These limited passports have to be exchanged for full-validity passports at the completion of the emergency travel.

What Service Do You Require?

Please make an appointment before you visit the Consular Section.

Nur-Sultan                    Almaty

The child must prove his/her identity. As a child’s appearance may change significantly over time, the consular officer may ask for additional proof of identity. Please bring as much proof as possible. Examples of items that can be used to establish a child’s identity are:

  • A passport issued by another country
  • School ID card with photo
  • Police/immigration registration record with attached photo
  • Growing age photos (i.e., a series of family photographs from various ages since the child’s last passport was issued–for example, if the child is now five years old and the passport was issued shortly after his/her birth, bring family photos showing the child at ages 1, 2, 3 and 4).
    Please note: you will not be able to bring any electronic devices into the Consular Section so please have photos printed out for review.

In general, both parents and the child need to appear in person to apply for a first or renewal passport and bring:

  • DS-11 Passport Application Form
  • One 2-inch x 2-inch (5cm x 5cm) professional quality color photo taken on a white background
  • The child’s birth certificate
  • The child’s expiring passport
  • Both parents’ passports
  • The $115 application fee

Note: We will not keep the originals of your passports/birth certificates – they’ll be given back to you right after the interview.

If a parent or guardian is unable to appear in person with the child, Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) must also be submitted.

  • The signature of the non-present parent on Form DS-3053 must be notarized.
  • The notary who notarized the non-present parent’s signature must properly notate the parent’s ID information on Form DS-3053.
  • A photocopy of the non-present parent’s identification is required with the written consent.
  • Statement of Consent must be signed and notarized within the last 90 days to be acceptable.

If you are applying for your child’s first passport, also see Birth Registration.

In general, you will need to bring:

  • DS-82 Passport Application Form
  • One 2-inch x 2-inch (5cm x 5cm) professional quality color photo taken on a white background
  • Your most recent U.S. passport
  • The $110 application fee

Note: We will not keep the original of your passport. It will be given back to you right after being reviewed by the Consular Officer.

If your most recent passport was issued when you were 15 or under, you will need to complete the DS-11 Passport Application Form instead of the DS-82. The fee for the service will be $145.00.

As a security enhancement, we no longer amend valid passports. Instead, customers requesting name changes, extension of validity for limited passports or correction of a printing error will apply for replacement passports.  If the change is within one year after issuance, they will submit a DS-5504 Application for a U.S. Passport – Corrections, Name Change within 1 Year of Passport Issuance, and Limited Passport Holders together with the passport that needs the change, the documentation required, and new passport pictures. There will be no charge.  If the change is more than one year after issuance, customers will need to submit an application for a new passport and pay the normal fees.